How To Hold A Guitar
On this page, you will learn how to hold a guitar for you beginners out there that are just picking up the instrument. Learning and keeping good posture while holding the guitar will make playing the instrument easier.
You will also learn about the proper left-hand position and how to hold a guitar pick.
Sitting with Guitar
- You Should Sit on the front edge of your chair with your back straight.
- Next, place your guitar on your right leg. You could also cross your right leg over your left or place your right foot on a footstool to slightly elevate your right leg if that is more comfortable for you.
- With the guitar balanced on your right leg, bring it in close to your body with the neck pointing at a slight upward angle.
- Let your forearm rest on the upper edge of the guitar
- The main goal is to be comfortable while having easy access to the freeboard.
Standing with Guitar
Have a good guitar strap and adjust it to a comfortable height for yourself.
A guitar pick is a piece of plastic in the shape of a triangle.
- Hold the guitar pick between your index finger (1st finger) and your thumb.
- Use just the tip of the pick to hit the string.
Fret Hand Fingers and Thumb Position
- Keep your thumb centered on the middle of the neck.
- Use your fingertips to apply pressure to the strings.
- Place your fingers just behind the frets
Hope you have enjoyed this lesson on how to hold a guitar and the other basic techniques.
Learning this from the start should help make playing the guitar a little easier for you beginning guitarists out there.